Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Pregnancy and Infant Loss Awareness Month

http://www.october15th.com/ 
http://nowilaymedowntosleep.org

As a member of Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep, I've learned that October is Pregnancy and Infant Loss Awareness Month.  I don't have any children, but I know people who do, as well as others who have experienced miscarriages and photographed two session for NILMDTS.  Just because a baby doesn't get to grow up doesn't mean they weren't a significant part of their parents' lives.

The infants I photographed were completely different situations and, sad as it was, I'm glad I could help their families even a little bit.  The first was a beautiful baby and photographing him was an experience I will never in my life forget.  His parents are amazing people.  The second was a tiny fighter whose family and doctors did all that they could.  Both children were, and still are, loved.

My heart goes out to these families and all others who have lost a child.  The gift of memories in the form of professional photography was one I am glad to provide, despite the sorrow that comes with such a job.   I feel that if I can help people with my talents, I should do so.  The photographs I and other NILMDTS photographers provide are reminders to parents that even though their child may not be with them anymore, their memory lives on in their hearts and in ours.

1 comment:

mom said...

Elena, this is a wonderful gift that you are providing to grieving parents. A parent never forgets their child no matter what happens. My first pregnancy ended in miscarriage and to this day (24 years later) I remember the baby on his expected birthday. Sometimes, God has a way of helping us deal with our loss. Two months after my miscarriage, I became pregnant with you. A true gift from God. I know how difficult your two sessions for NILMDTS were for you personally, but what you gave to the families of these children was priceless. Love you, honey.